Steve Rudaini, Partner at MD Communications, has been featured in Law360 writing on the topic of strategies that lawyers can use for success in Litigation PR.
Steve looks at why law firms would want to publicise litigation, giving examples of high-profile cases such as Vardy v Rooney and Jonny Depp v Amber Heard. Less high profile but equally important cases can also benefits, as they raise awareness about a particular cause, such as to change the law on assisted dying, or to stop the ultra-low emission zone reaching outer London suburbs.
The article provides useful advice on building your profile to help with litigation PR:
- Developing ongoing relationships with the media
- Tipping off the press in advance
- Being generous with background information
- Being available to speak to the press
- Using social media to get the message to a wider audience
Finally, Steve considers obstacles to publicising court cases, including where privacy laws apply, and a new reluctance on the part of judges to allow off-the-record or advance briefings to the press, in case the information is leaked.